PARENTS PLAY AN IMPORTANT ROLE IN PREVENTING TEEN DRUG USE
Although it may not always seem like it, your kids care about what you think! Studies have shown that teens do listen to parents; substance use is significantly lower among teens who believe their parents strongly disapprove of substance use. One of the best ways to prevent substance use among your kids is to educate yourself and then pass that education on to your children.
KEEP THE CONVERSATION GOING!
The earlier an individual starts smoking, drinking or using other drugs, the greater the liklihood of developing addition:
9 out of 10 people who abuse or are addicted to nicotine, alcohol or other drugs began using these substances before they were 18
- People who began using addictive substances before age 15 are nearly 7 times likelier to develop a substance problem than those who delay first use until age 21 or older
- Every year that substance use is delayed during the period of adolescent brain development, the risk of addiction and substance abuse decreases
Learn more About...
Teens and Substance Use
- Parental Guide-Drug Facts and Getting the Conversation Started
- Illinois Youth Survey Results
- How do I know if my child is using?- The Partnership at DrugFree.org provides information on warning signs, behavior changes and tips on how to take action.
- Keeping Youth Drug-Free offers advice on keeping children substance free. Review statistics about adolescent substance use, and learn tips on good communication.
- Get Smart About Drugs
- Glenbard Parent Series - The Glenbard Parent Series engages top experts, parents and school staff to become proactive and informed in pursuit of the mutual goal to strengthen our communities. Programs are free and open to the public.
- Positive Alternatives Podcast: Positive Alternatives is a podcast for parents and teens intended to inform, share real life stories, and initiate conversations in the family regarding underage drinking and drug use. The podcast is hosted by Doug Petit who has spoken to well over 100,000 parents and teens about the perils of poor choices when it comes to alcohol and drugs.
- Teen Drug and Alcohol Abuse: Parent Tools from the Gateway Foundation
- Social Hosting Laws
- Study: Parents who give their teens alcohol are inviting trouble
- Interview with National Marijuana Initiative Coordinator, Ed Shemelya
- Impacts of Marijuana Legalization around the Country-Presentation
- Marijuana Talk Kit- what you need to know to talk with your teen about marijuana
- Teens & Weed: Still a Big Deal a parent’s guide to talk with a teenager about marijuana from Rosecrance
- Smart Approaches to Marijuana (SAM)
- Marijuana Facts for Teens
- Marijuana QuickFacts
- Marijuana and Health
- Marijuana as Medicine: What does the science say?
- Marijuana Edibles Fact Sheet
- Synthetic Drugs toolkit from the Partnership at Drugfree.org
- What Parents Need to Know About Marijuana Use and Teens
Teen Drug and Alcohol Abuse: Parent Tools from the Gateway Foundation
- Tobacco Facts from the DuPage County Health Department
- Tobacco Facts and Stats from the Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids
- Vaporizers, E-cigarettes, and other Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems (ENDS)
- Electronic Cigarette Tip Sheet
- Electronic Cigarettes: An Overview of Key Issues
National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse (https://www.centeronaddiction.org/addiction-prevention/teenage-addiction)
Smart Approaches to Marijuana (https://learnaboutsam.org/)
National Institute on Drug Abuse; National Institutes of Health; U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (https://www.drugabuse.gov/)